Veggie Burger Bowl is just what is says it is. A yummy vegetable patty incorporated into a healthy beautiful veggie bowl. The best of both worlds. Burger, say hello to bowl.
Recipe Contributor – Plant Fueled Student (Instagram)
Using a veggie burger recipe inspired by OverOrderingIn, this bowl has all the healthiness and beauty of summer vegetables topped with a scrumptious burger. Instead of putting veggies on the burger, the burger came to the veggies. What a great idea Plant Fueled Student!
This recipe calls for psyllium husk. Do you know what psyllium husk is? Psyllium is a form of fiber made from the husks of the Plantago ovata plant’s seeds. It sometimes goes by the name ispaghula.
Six weeks of daily psyllium intake is an effective way for people who are obese or overweight to lower their cholesterol with very few side effects.
If you’ve been told that you need to watch your cholesterol, ask your doctor if adding psyllium to a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet will help you.
Numerous studies have shown that fiber like psyllium, taken as part of a healthy diet, can help lower a person’s risk of heart disease. Psyllium can affect your heart by lowering blood pressure, improving lipid levels, and strengthening heart muscle.
And the way to keep great health? By eating healthy food! And the Veggie Burger Bowl is a great summer recipe when all the vegetables are fresh and it’s just too darn hot to want a big filling bun with that burger. Give it a try. It will not disappoint.
Veggie Burger Bowl
Salad – (use as little or as much as the following as you like)
- fresh broccoli florets
- mixed vegetables (corn, peas, bell peppers, etc)
- fresh spinach
- cucumber, chopped
- canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- purple cabbage, chopped
- iceberg lettuce
Salad Dressing –
- 1 tsp soy sauce (tamari if following gluten free diet)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 3 to 4 tbsp water
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked red lentils (I soak them for a few hours and then throw them in the Crock pot for 4 hours, but you can cook them however it's convenient for you)
- 2 cups mix of any raw vegetables (I used shredded carrots, minced purple cabbage, and yellow bell peppers)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil
- Mix together ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
Salad Dressing –
- Whisk ingredients together. Pour over salad.
Burger – (makes 5 patties)
- Mix psyllium husk with water or until you get a gooey mixture. Set aside.
- Combine in large bowl: quinoa, red lentils, raw veggie mix, rolled oats and mix together.
- Add psyllium husk mixture, ketchup, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, pinch of salt, and mix together.
- Place in fridge for about 15 minutes. Take out and shape patties with your hands.
- Cook with a little oil in pan over med/high heat for a few minutes on each side until golden.
- Take a patty (or two!) and incorporate with the salad.
- Nutritional information is for patties only.
Looking for other tasty summer recipes? Look here!