Vegan Tuscan Rigatoni. Super garlicky sun-dried tomatoes and spinach cooked in white sauce with cashew cream tossed with rigatoni. Quick and easy, it makes a perfect weeknight meal.
Recipe Contributor – Rabbit and Wolves (Instagram) Rabbit and Wolves (Website) Rabbit and Wolves (Facebook)
Ah Pasta. The forever comfort food. I love the fact that it can basically be eaten plain with just a smidge of olive oil and herbs, or totally covered with sauce. I truly believe pasta has to be one of the all time greatest food inventions, right? I mean seriously. Who can go a month without eating pasta? If so, I want to hear about it in the comments below!
As Lauren of Rabbit and Wolves writes, “I love how a simple pasta can be made outstanding using different veggies, and a depth of flavor can be created using only plant based ingredients!”
“You do need to soak your cashews, preferably overnight. However, once that has been done, this is a 15 to 20 minute meal. My favorite kind of meal!”
“Vegan Tuscan Rigatoni is the most amazing pasta dish I have had in a very long time. Smokey, a little sweet, garlicky, creamy and everything I dream of in a perfect pasta dish. I hope you love this recipe, even my cooked spinach hating husband loves it. So, I am pretty sure I can get anyone to love this one!”
Vegan Tuscan Rigatoni
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cup fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup vegan white wine
- 16 ounce rigatoni (gluten free if following a gluten free diet)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil
- Start boiling your water for your rigatoni.
- While the pasta water is coming to a boil, in a blender add the cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend on high until nice and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. This will take a few minutes to get it smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Leave mixture in blender and set aside.
- Now that your pasta water is boiling, cook rigatoni according to package directions. Once boiled to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for a minute. Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted and the sun-dried tomatoes are soft. Add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Reduce heat as needed.
- Pour the cashew cream sauce from the blender into the spinach mixture and stir until completely combined. Taste and adjust seasoning adding more salt and pepper if needed. Turn off the heat under the skillet.
- Add the drained rigatoni to the skillet mixture. Toss the pasta in the skillet and coat completely. Serve immediately.
- Top with fresh basil and cracked pepper (optional)
Looking for yummy pasta dishes? Try here!