Vegan Super Cheesy Mac N Peas is an easy and quick recipe that involves tons of vegan cheese, delicious pasta, and yummy green peas. A great dish for the kids!
Recipe Contributor – Hold The Olives (Instagram) Hold The Olives (Facebook)
Yum just yum. I know we’re only a few days away from Thanksgiving, but this would be an awesome side dish ESPECIALLY for the kids!
When my kiddos were young, I was always a little on edge about what they would eat at the holiday meal. If food had something green in it, they’d make a face. If it was “mushy”, nope. Stuffing was a 50% chance. Bread always won. So basically my kids would fill up on bread and once we were home I’d have to make them something to eat.
Maybe I did something wrong while raising them, but that’s just the way it turned out. I will note that now they all have wonderfully varied diets and are not sufficing on bread alone.
A great dish for the kids!
I know I’m not the only parent that had a hard time getting my kids to eat veggies. I wasn’t raised vegan, or even vegetarian, but even if I was somethings just taste better than others. And why children are so averse to food that is green is oblivious to me, but that’s just the way it is, or at least I think for a majority of us.
So with this yummy Vegan Super Cheesy Mac N Peas you can get your kiddos to eat a TON of good veggies! Personally, I’d let them take a bite with the peas hidden down at the bottom of the bowl. Then when they liked it you could show them the peas. But I can be tricky like that.
I’m guessing the new parenting model is showing the peas, telling about the peas, and letting them eat the peas probably before the cheesy goodness. And if that works, go for it!
You can leave the peas out for just Super Cheezy Mac N Cheese
If all else fails with the kids, leave the peas out. They are getting veggies in the “cheese” sauce. Plus if you use a whole wheat pasta that’s added nutrition. And if you’re wanting more protein use a gluten free chickpea pasta such as Banza (my personal fav).
Either way you serve it, this is a veggie comfort food extraordinaire! It’s a must try recipe.
And if you’re looking for other yummy pasta dishes, simply use the search tool at the top right of the menu, or go to the recipes page and choose “pasta”, or simply click here!
Vegan Super Cheezy Mac N Peas
- Boil pasta according to package directions until al dente. Set aside.
- Steam peas for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, make a roux with 1 tablespoon melted butter and flour. Stir until flour is cooked and a nutty aroma occurs.
- Slowly add almond milk into the pot and stir constantly.
- Tear the cheese slices into quarters and add them to the sauce, stirring constantly until melted into a light cheese sauce.
- Add cooked pasta to the pot, stir, and then add the package of Daiya cheese sauce. Stir well until everything is coated with cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste and then fold in the peas. Add in the rest of the butter if needed.
- Serve hot, melted, and with extra black pepper on top.