Vegan Simple Beef Seitan is a simple and quick recipe for beef flavored seitan. Use in almost any vegan recipe that calls for a beef substitute.
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
Oh it’s so nice to have beef substitutes, right? No animal cruelty. Healthy option. Helps the planet. All good things!
Vegan Simple Beef Seitan is an easy yet tasty beef substitute to use in any of your regular plant based recipes. Bolognese to sandwiches this is a classic staple in a plant eaters diet.
Note to all those who are gluten free. This is NOT gluten free. As you can see “vital wheat gluten” is the main ingredient so please do NOT use this if you are on a gluten free diet.
If you’re looking for more “meaty” recipes, click here!
Vegan Simple Beef Seitan
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup beef flavored vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients them mix into dry ingredients. Mix until dough forms. Knead dough 3 minutes in stand mixer using dough hook on speed 2. Alternately knead by hand. Form loaf.
- Cover with towel, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bring 6 cups water or beef flavored vegan broth to boil. Wrap loaf loosely in parchment paper with ends twisted and folded under. Gently boil seitan loaf for 25 minutes, unwrap loaf and return to gentle boil for another 20 minutes.
- Remove loaf and place in container of cold water seasoned with 2 Tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce. Refrigerate. Ready to use when completely cooled. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.