Vegan Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich is a veganzied version of the very popular meat version. But this yummalicious version is healthier and cruelty free.
Recipe Contributor – Thee Burger Dude (Instagram) Thee Burger Dude (Facebook)
Even if you’re a die hard vegan, I’m sure you’ve heard all the hype about Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich and all the meat eaters waiting in long lines to get one.
Well guess what? NOW you can get a veganized healthier version that is just as, or probably even more, tasty! No harm to any animals, healthier for you, can make it at home – just a win-win ALL the way around!
Brian uses Gardein chick’n fillets.
Gardein is a very popular frozen brand of meatless products if you are not familiar with them. And it just so happens that I believe the scallopini fillets are gluten free as well. So if you’re following a gluten free diet, change the flour to gluten free and I think you’re good to go. Just be sure and use a gluten free bun.
I personally haven’t made this sandwich yet, but the more I’m writing, the more I’m getting a hankering for one. I mean seriously folks, look at that breading! And the sauce. Oh and I love me some pickles!!! However, you can put whatever you like on the sandwich for condiments. Also, if the chick’n is too big for you, use only one fillet but follow the same instructions.
How were sandwiches invented? Wasn’t it the Earl of Sandwich or am I remembering a Bugs Bunny episode? Time for research!
Ok I was close, it is the Earl of Sandwich. Wikipedia says “It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an eighteenth-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order “the same as Sandwich!”
I still think there was a Bug’s Bunny episode with the Earl of Sandwich. Plus, Bug’s just adds to the fun. But either which way, you have GOT to try this Vegan Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich. Your tummy will thank you!
And if you’re looking for more burgers and sandwiches, you can use the search bar at the top right menu, go to the recipes page and click on “burgers and sandwiches”, or simply click here!
Vegan Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich
- 8 Gardein Chick'n Scallopini Fillets
- oil for frying
Dry Ingredients –
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning see instructions if you don't have a premade cajun seasoning
- Thaw 8 Gardein Chick’n Scallopini Filets (this is for 4 Big Sandwiches, or 8 small ones if you decide to not press 2 filets together.)
- Heat up Oil for Deep Frying to 350-375 Degrees.
- While Oil is Heating up, prep your dredge station. For Dry, Fill a bowl with 1 Cup Flour plus Cajun Seasoning to taste. I used about 2 Tbsp. I have a Cajun Spice blend with the following spices; Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Paprika, Sugar, Basil, Cayenne, Chili Flakes, Oregano, Thyme, Ground Mustard Seed, White Pepper, Allspice, Hickory Smoke Flavor – This is why I prefer using a store-bought blend, makes the process a lot faster! Plus I’m lazy! But if you have all these spices at home you could totally make it too!
- For the Wet, use a cup of Plant-Milk (I used Ripple) and a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar. Let that sit for a bit so it curdles then add Hot Sauce of choice (Frank’s, Crystal, Texas Pete all fine choices) to taste. I used about 1/4 Cup.
- Once the oil is up to 350-375, Press 2 Filets together (unless you want to make smaller sandwiches, then just use each Filet as is) and Dredge in Wet, then Dry and repeat to Double Dredge. Carefully add the Double Filet to oil and let it fry for about 3 minutes or until Golden Brown.
- Let the Fried Chick’n rest on a plate with towels, or if you have a cooling rack, place it on top of a cookie sheet with paper towels under the rack so you don’t have to clean your cookie sheet (well not as much at least).
- For the Sauce, since Blode Kuh is not widely available, simply make a Mayo based sauce using Vegan Mayo. I didn’t do exact measurements, but about 1/2 a cup of Mayo, a Tbsp of Vinegar and some more Cajun Seasoning will do the trick!
- If you can get a Vegan Brioche bun use those, otherwise use any other bun of your choice, but I recommend a large bun as these filets are BIG! Slather plenty of Sauce on both buns, add some Dill Pickle slices, slap the Chick’n on there and ENJOY!
- If you’re wondering where I got a Vegan Brioche Bun, I get mine at my local Whole Foods. They have a restaurant that uses them for the Beyond Burgers they make, so it’s not in the regular bakery. They are $2 a pop, so not cheap either! But they are delicious, so worth it for a special occasion!