Vegan Peach BBQ Tempeh Ribs. Tempeh steamed then grilled to perfection, slathered in a delicious summery peach bbq sauce. It’s literally finger licking good.
Recipe Contributor – VeganTravelEats (Instagram) VeganTravelEats (website) VeganTravelEats (Facebook)
As Valerie from VeganTravelEats writes, “These Vegan Peach BBQ Tempeh Ribs are perfect for your 4th of July BBQ or just for lunch or dinner any day (or breakfast, no one is judging). The best way to make these is on the grill but I have included an oven-broiled option for those who don’t have access and it’s still insanely delicious.”
“Also, don’t stress if peaches aren’t in season when you want to make this recipe. I’ve made it using thawed frozen slices and it came out perfect and was cheaper too!”
What a great way to use Tempeh, right? For those of you that aren’t familiar with Tempeh, let me fill you in. Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian soy product, that is made from fermented soybeans. Now don’t say “ewwwww” because tempeh is a great thing! 1 cup of Tempeh has 31 grams of protein! It also has 18% of your daily requirement of calcium, 25% of your daily intake of iron, 20% B-6 and 33% Magnesium. All for 320 calories, 0 salt, and only 16g Carbs.
Healthy and delicious. Bring it on!
Vegan Peach BBQ Tempeh Ribs
- 2 8 ounce packages of tempeh, each slab cut into 4 pieces lengthwise, and then each of those pieces filleted down the middle. You should end up with 16 total pieces.
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ripe peaches, chopped (3 peaches should do the trick)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vegan dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (if you like a lot of spice feel free to add more!)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp oil or vegan butter
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the oil or vegan butter for 3 minutes, then add the chopped peaches, sauté for another 6-7 minutes until the onion is translucent and the peaches are softened.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the apple cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire, cayenne, and chili powder. Stir to combine, up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer and simmer the sauce for about 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Off the heat and stir in the liquid smoke. Let the sauce cool a bit while you get the tempeh started.
- Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes in steaming apparatus of your choice. While the tempeh is steaming blend the bbq sauce up until smooth, stopping the blender and opening the top a couple of times to release steam.
- Once the tempeh is done steaming, place some slabs on a large plate brushing very generously with the bbq sauce, flip the slabs over and repeat until they’re covered in the sauce. Repeat with the rest of the slabs working carefully so they don’t fall apart.
Grill Option –
- Spray the grill grates with oil and heat over high heat. Add the tempeh slabs, cook for 3 minutes on each side, LIBERALLY brushing more bbq sauce on each side while grilling. Do not be shy with the sauce, slather that shit on there! Brushing the bbq sauce on while they’re grilling is so important otherwise the slabs will dry out. Remove from the grill and serve with extra bbq sauce if desired.
Oven-broiled Option –
- Preheat your broiler and arrange the oven rack on the top rung so it’s about 2-inches away from the heating element. Spray a broiling pan with some cooking spray, lay half of the slabs on and slather in extra bbq sauce.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes keeping a very close eye on them. You want them to form a nice crust but they will burn quickly. Remove from the oven, carefully flip, slather with more sauce and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the slabs.
- Tip: be careful when you are opening the oven it will burn your eyes if that steam goes right into your face!