Vegan Nanaimo Bars have a chocolate coconut base, a creamy center and topped with a delicious chocolate layer! Added bonus? Naturally Gluten Free.
Recipe Contributor – Purely Plant Powered_
Vegan Nanaimo Bars are a veganized version of the popular nanaimo bars of Nanaimo, Canada. The Nanaimo bar is a soft layer of yellow custard sandwiched between rich chocolate ganache and a coconut-graham crust.
A little history on this yummy dessert. According to King Arthur Flour – “This layered bar is originally from Nanaimo, a city on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.”
“The bar was born in 1952, when a fundraising cookbook from the island featured three recipes for chocolate squares. These recipes were reprinted under the name Nanaimo Bars in the Vancouver Sun.“
“Canadian food companies adopted them as a convenient vehicle for their products, and they’ve been growing in popularity ever since.”
The dessert is easy to make at home, but travellers with a sense of adventure (and a high-tolerance for sugar) can check out the Nanaimo Bar Trail, where sweet adaptations and variations abound.
Give this recipe a try and you will not be disappointed. Chocolate, almonds and coconut? What’s not to love? They are absolutely delicious, eh?
Vegan Nanaimo Bars
Chocolate Coconut Base Layer –
- 1/2 cup packed dates
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 heaped cup of coconut
- 1/2 heaped cup of cocoa
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tbsp water
Middle Cashew Custard Layer –
Top Chocolate Layer –
- 4 ounces dark chocolate bars (or approximately 120 grams)
- In a food processor blend all the ingredients for the base until most of the almonds are broken up into small pieces and mixture is forming into a dough
(Add a bit more water if it’s still too crumbly).
- Press this dough into a 9×9 baking pan lined with parchment paper and form a thin layer.
- Blend ingredient for the base together until completely smooth (you can adjust sweetness with the amount of maple syrup added).
- Pour into pan on top of bottom layer and spread into an even layer.
- Place in freezer for at least 3 hours until the middle layer is frozen.
- After middle layer is frozen, melt dark chocolate bars on the stove and pour over middle layer (chocolate will harden quickly on the cold middle layer).
- Place back in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Let thaw for 10-15 mins before serving and cut into squares.
Looking for dessert? Try here!