Vegan Mac and Cheese. Creamy and oh so satisfying. And with the new school year just around the corner, it’s the perfect recipe for those family weeknight meals.
Recipe Contributor – Healthy Simple Yum (Instagram) Healthy Simple Yum (Website) Healthy Simple Yum (Facebook)
Vegan Mac and Cheese. An all time classic no matter what your diet preference. And thank goodness that it’s veganized!
This recipe for the all time favorite is nutrient dense. Packed with potatoes, carrots, onions, and cashews help boost that healthy factor! Plus the kiddos will gobble it up and never even know they just had a super healthy yummy dish.
And if you’re on a gluten free diet, just use gluten free vegan macaroni and you are all set. Also, to be super safe, check your nutritional yeast for gluten. Most are gluten free but it never hurts to be on the safe side.
Ah Pasta. The forever comfort food. I love the fact that it can basically be eaten plain with just a smidge of olive oil and herbs, or totally covered with sauce like this amazing Vegan Mac and Cheese. I truly believe pasta has to be one of the all time greatest food inventions, right? Who can go a month without eating pasta? If so, I want to hear about it in the comments below!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces dried macaroni almost 3 cups
- 3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 handful of vegan cheese shreds optional – I used Daiya
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 20 minutes.
- Bring water to boil in a small pot to add the diced potatoes, carrots, onion. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft. Once soft, use slotted spoon to remove veggies and set aside to cool off. Add the 3/4 cup of water to blender from the water you just used to boil the veggies.
- Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instruction (about 6-7 minutes).
- While macaroni is cooking, put all ingredients in blender (except for the Daiya shreds) and blend until smooth. Taste, add extra ingredients as needed.
- Drain pasta, place back in large pot and add cheese sauce! Turn stove on to medium and add Daiya (or another vegan cheese) shreds, mix well and serve.
Looking for great pasta dishes? Try here!