Vegan Laksa is the veganized version of a popular Malaysian noodle curry soup.
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
Laksa is a spicy noodle soup popular in the Peranakan cuisine of Southeast Asia. Laksa consists of thick wheat noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk or on sour asam.
Luckily we have the veganized version of Laksa soup without all the meat.
Vegan Laksa is full of flavor and veggies that will make you wonder why you haven’t ever tried this soup before. The main veggies are zucchini, mushrooms and green beans, yum! And the spices? Curry, smoked paprika, ginger, garlic….my mouth is starting to water. Top it off in a coconut and veggie broth with yummy noodles and you’ve definitely hit a home run!
And speaking of zucchini as a vegetable in this wonderful soup, did you know that zucchini in Europe goes by the name courgette? When I first started looking at vegan recipes a few years ago, I kept wondering “what in the heck is courgette?” Well it’s what we call here in the US zucchini.
This soup is such a treat! It’s –
- Healthy – High in Vitamin A, Calcium and Potassium
- Hearty – Veggie + Noodles = Hearty
- Comforting – Knowing you’re eating something healthy and it’s delicious too. What’s better as a comfort food?
Vegan Laksa is definitely one for your recipe bucket list. Give it a go today while the weather is cold and a warm, yummy soup is just what you need! And if you’re looking for maybe a different type of soup, check out Vegan Chunky Minestrone Soup for another noodle type soup.
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 ounce fresh ginger sliced
- 1 shallot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 zucchini cut into 1/2 moons
- 5 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 5 ounces green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lime zested
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 ounces vermicelli rice noodles use gluten free if following a gf diet
- 1/4 ounce fresh cilantro chopped
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Soak cashews in boiling water while preparing vegetables. Add the cashews to a blender with 1/4 cup hot tap water. Then add garlic, ginger, shallot, jalapeno, curry powder, paprika, and tamari. Blend the laksa paste until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the laksa paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and toasted, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth and salt, bring to a simmer.
- Once the curry sauce is simmering, add the green beans. Return to boil and cook 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms, return to boil and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the lime zest and juice from half of the lime. Stir in rice Noodles. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
- This recipe is adapted from a Purple Carrot recipe
- To lower the sodium, use a low sodium vegetable broth
- To reduce the fat, use a lite coconut milk.