Vegan Creamy Rosé Basil Pasta is a delicate blend of basil, tomatoes, and of course, rosé wine. The perfect pasta dish for a special weekend meal.
Recipe Contributor – Daisy Beet (Instagram) Daisy Beet (Website) Daisy Beet (Facebook)
Ah Pasta. The forever comfort food. I love the fact that it can basically be eaten plain with just a smidge of olive oil and herbs, or totally covered with sauce. I truly believe pasta has to be one of the all time greatest food inventions, right? Who can go a month without eating pasta? If so, I want to hear about it in the comments below!
Vegan Creamy Rosé Basil Pasta has tomatoes, garlic, and fresh basil. So much freshness and yummy nutrients!
Do you know the health benefits of garlic? It’s been said garlic may help lower high blood pressure and elevated blood cholesterol. Garlic may help prevent or fight certain cancers. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties which help prevent and fight infections. And garlic may alleviate nasal congestion.
Herbalists and folk healers have used garlic for thousands of years. Ancient Egyptian healers prescribed it to build physical strength, the Greeks used it as a laxative, and the Chinese traditionally used it to lower blood pressure.
And tomatoes are a useful source of vitamin C, beta carotene, folate and potassium. Plus tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against some cancers.
So not only is this dish healthy, it’s delicious. A must make for a family weekend meal.
Vegan Creamy Rosé Basil Pasta
- Soak cashews in 2 cups of warm water, ideally overnight, but for at least 30 minutes. To make cashew cream, drain soaked cashews and add them to a high powered blender or food processor. Add remaining 1/2 cup water and a dash of salt. Blend for 2-3 minutes until super creamy, taking time to stop and scrape down the edges. Pour into a bowl and set aside, and rinse out blender.
- Heat olive oil in a large shallow pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and a generous grind of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add rosé to the pan and turn up the heat a bit. Cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and basil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes until tomatoes are broken apart and super soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat and add to your blender (you can also use an immersion blender). Blend on high until sauce is creamy.
- Pour sauce back into your pan, and stir in the cashew cream.
- Add lemon juice and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and pour directly into saucepan, and stir gently to coat evenly.
- Portion into bowls and enjoy!
- Tastes good hot or cold.
- Will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Looking for yummy pasta ideas? Try here!