Vegan Creamy Artichoke Pasta is a delicious pasta recipe with cashew cream, leeks, and artichokes. Mix them all together and bake with a crispy crumb topping and you have a new family favorite!
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
I love pasta. I wish a scientist would do a study on the effects of pasta on the brain because it sure makes me happy. And I’m guessing it makes you happy too.
And a pasta recipe that you can toss into a baking dish and bake is a wonderous, miraculous thing. Why? Because all the pasta and sauce will be heated at the same time and you can serve it straight from the baking dish. No trying to keep the pasta warm and sauce warm in separate bowls prior to serving.
And who doesn’t love a casserole?
So double points for pasta dishes that are casseroles. Anything that makes our busy lives easier, am I right? Plus you can toss together a green salad, break apart a baguette, and you have a complete dinner.
If you follow a gluten free diet as I do, this recipe can easily be converted. Use whatever gluten free pasta brand you prefer, and simply use panko gluten free breadcrumbs. They are available at most stores but if your grocery doesn’t carry them, you can order a box here. It’s for 2 boxes so if you just want one to give them a test, look around on Amazon. There are other brands but just watch for shipping charges.
Vegan Creamy Artichoke Pasta is a must try recipe. It’s easy, has 18 grams of protein per serving (more if you use chickpea pasta), and only 4 grams saturated fat. It might just be your new go to family weeknight meal.
If you’re searching for pasta dishes, simply use the search tool (magnifying glass) at the top of the main menu, go to the recipes page and click on the category “pasta”, or simply click here.
Vegan Creamy Artichoke Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta of your choice if following a gluten free diet, use gf pasta
- 2/3 cup cashews
- 2 leeks trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can artichoke hearts halved
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegan Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs use gf panko bread crumbs if following a gf diet
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, reserving 1 cup pasta water for sauce. Soak cashews in 1 cup boiling water 10 minutes.
- In a blender, add lemon juice, cashews and their soaking water, Dijon mustard, garlic, 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Blend on high until smooth.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat add olive oil. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally so not to brown, until soft approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- To skillet, stir in 1 cup pasta water, artichokes and cashew sauce; bring to a simmer. Stir in the cooked pasta and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set broiler on high. Transfer pasta to baking dish. .
- In a small bowl, combine melted vegan butter, panko crumbs and remaining 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast. Sprinkle crumbs over pasta.
- Broil pasta dish until crumbs are browned and crisp, approximately 5 minutes.