Vegan Chunky Minestrone soup is full of healthy vegetables and yummy pasta. The perfect soup to keep your family healthy and happy.
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
Soup. Such a yummy, healthy and comforting food. When the weather turns cooler and finally cold, nothing warms your body better than a big bowl of soup. If you’re feeling ill, soup is the ultimate comfort food any time of year. To quote a well known company, “soup is good food!”
I personally have always loved Minestrone. I first tried it a few years ago when I changed to a vegetarian diet and it was one of my only options at a restaurant. Result – I immediately fell in love with it. It is full of so many veggies. It has pasta, yummmm. And not only does it warm your soul, it is so hearty that it’s almost a stew.
I don’t speak about myself on this site, because I want it to primarily be a community recipe website. However, lately I feel it might help people who have chosen a plant based lifestyle for health reasons. And for that reason is why I changed my diet years ago to pescatarian, then vegetarian, and now a gluten free, no refined sugar (that I add), and no processed foods (ok, I do have Amy’s ever now and again) plant eater.
In addition, I’m allergic to dairy, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, gum (additives used as a thickening agent), oats, and chocolate. And that’s the short list.
Why am I telling you all this? Because I feel like if I share this information it will make it easier for those of you that might be struggling with health issues comprised of allergies or other issues, to realize that you are not alone and you can make the change to a plant based lifestyle.
I am in no means a medical expert, although I have had to learn a ton and fight non stop to get the help I need. But changing my diet has made a HUGE difference.
Vegan Chunky Minestrone Soup is one of those recipes that I would eat everyday if I could. Personally I would use low sodium gluten free veggie broth because I try and watch my sodium. And if you want to make the soup totally gluten free, use gluten free pasta and make sure the vegan parm you use is gluten free.
If you are struggling with health issues and are interested in my personal battle, feel free to contact me through the contact page or comment below.
Now, go enjoy some Zuppa!
Vegan Chunky Minestrone Soup.
- 1 yellow onion rough chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 zucchini thickly sliced
- 1.5 cup green beans cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth (for GF diet use GF vegetable broth)
- 1 or 2 bay leaf
- 2 cups large sized pasta (for GF diet use GF pasta)
- 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- vegan parmesan cheese optional
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Saute onion, carrot, celery approximately 7 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, oregano and thyme and continue to cook for another minute to release aromatics.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, green beans, salt and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover then decrease heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid, add zucchini, pasta and beans. Continue simmering, increasing heat to maintain a low boil uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the the pasta is cooked al dente. Add spinach and continue to cook until bright green and wilted, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove bay leaf before serving. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan if desired.
- Use low sodium vegetable broth to lower sodium.
Looking for hearty and healthy soups? Try here!