Vegan Butter Chicken is out of this world full of flavor. Perfect to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge for meal prep. Be careful though, you’ll want to eat everything in the pan in one night!
Recipe Contributor – The Clumsy Vegan (Instagram) The Clumsy Vegan (Facebook)
Vegan Butter Chicken. What a wonderful tasty and exotic dish. There a lot of great spices incorporated in this dish, like black cardamom, green cardamom, and garam masala. Let’s see exactly what these are!
The Indian name for black cardamom is badi elaichi or kali elaichi.
“Roughly 1 inch in length, the black cardamom pods are dark brown to black in color and have a tough, dried, wrinkly skin. Cardamom is the world’s third-most expensive spice, surpassed in price per weight only by vanilla and saffron. Black cardamom is a key ingredient in India’s famous garam masala spice mixture and several other masalas mixes. It is largely used in savory dishes ranging from curries, stews, and daals (lentil dishes) to pilafs, in Indian cooking. It is mostly used whole and almost always fried in a little oil to cause it to fully release its flavors and aroma.
Green cardamom is known as true cardamom. This is the most common variety you will see sold in the spice aisle of the supermarket. It is the top choice for sweet dishes but also works well in savory dishes. The bleached version, white cardamom, has less flavor. It is grown in tropical areas including India, Malaysia, and Costa Rica.” The Spruce Eats
Garam masala is a blend of ground spices used extensively in Indian cuisine.
“The spices for garam masala are usually toasted to bring out more flavor and aroma, and then ground. The word masala simply means “spices,” and garam means “hot.” However, garam masala doesn’t necessarily constitute a particularly spicy blend. The powdered form is typically gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian, while you will need to check the label for garam masala paste to see what is included.
Garam masala adds warmth, sweetness, floral notes, and a touch of heat from the black pepper. It is intended to be a fragrant spice as well as flavorful. While cumin, coriander, and turmeric may remind you of curry, garam masala is generally not fiery hot.” The Spruce Eats
This is an exotic and flavorful dish that anyone who enjoys a lot of spice will love! If you haven’t tried Indian food, be adventurous and give it a try!
Vegan Butter Chicken
- 175 grams vegan chicken pieces (plain, not batter or fried) 175 grams is a little over 6 ounces; could use Gardein Chicken (USA) or Vivera Chicken from Sainsburys (non USA)
Chicken Marinade –
- Marinate chicken pieces in the listed ingredients for Chicken Marinade for 2 hours.
- Heat a little extra olive oil in a skillet and fry chicken till caramelised on the outside. Set aside.
- Heat vegan butter in a large pan and add the listed spices, ginger and onions.
- Cook for a few minutes then add tomato puree and xylitol. Cook tomatoes until the raw smell disappears.
- Stir in coconut cream, Kasturi methi and add chicken pieces. Add water to the desired consistency and cook for 7-10 minutes shredding the chicken with a fork.
- Season as desired.
Looking for recipes with curry? Try here!