Tofu Kale Tomato Avocado Sandwich (TKTA sandwich) is a quick and easy yet full of flavor meal. Marinate and cook the tofu, toss on the veggies and some vegan mayo, and you’re ready to enjoy!
Recipe Contributor – Chickpeas N Chia Seeds (Instagram)
Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? And especially one that is full of marinated tofu and veggies. I mean YUMMMMMM!
I myself have been trying to find a perfect marinade for tofu. If you’re ever in Austin, Texas you have GOT to stop by Bouldin Creek Cafe and get there BLT Sandwich because there tofu bacon is OUT OF THIS WORLD good!
The marinade on this Tofu Kale Tomato Avocado Sandwich sounds absolutely delish! And it’s simple too. Gotta love the delicious AND easy recipes.
Bread is a really important factor in a good sandwich.
Which would you use? A .59 cent loaf of day old white bread or a fresh grainy thick loaf of healthy bread? No question about that! And a trick to not having the bread get soggy when you’re making a sandwich with vegan mayo and tomatoes (juicy stuff). Put the non juicy things next to the bread. For instance, layer the kale against the bread, THEN put the mayo on the kale, then the tomatoes, etc. That way the bread doesn’t get to squishy and fall apart before you are done with your sandwich.
Do you massage your kale before eating?
Speaking of kale, sometimes raw kale can upset tummies. If you have a problem with kale simple cut raw kale into pieces, put then into a bowl, and a little olive oil and salt, and literally massage the oil into the kale for several minutes. This process helps break up the kale to where it’s more easily digestible.
For the tomatoes on this I’d personally use a large garden type tomato that will hold together well while slicing and not fall to pieces on your sandwich. And the avocado – if you’re just making one sandwich you could probably use a whole small avocado. I never like having left over avocado to keep from turning brown. So if I can use all the avocado in one recipe, I’m in!
This sandwich is full of flavor and nutrients. Perfect for a weekend “watch your favorite movie or game” sandwich or an easy meal prep for weekday work or school lunches.
Tofu Kale Tomato Avocado Sandwich
- 1 block tofu rinsed, pressed, drained then cut into 1/4 inch slices
Tofu Marinade –
- 8 pieces whole grain bread
- 1 large garden tomato sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado sliced
- 1 large red onion sliced thin
- Several leaves kale fresh or massaged with a bit of olive oil
- vegan mayonnaise to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients for the tofu marinade and then in a pan, place the tofu and brush on the marinade to cover the tofu. Let marinate for at least one hour.
- While marinating, prepare vegetables for sandwich. Set Aside.
- After the tofu has marinated, place in a non stick skillet over medium to medium high heat and cook until browned. Flip and brown the other side. Set Aside.
- Get 2 slices of bread, layer with kale, vegan mayo, onion, tomato, avocado and tofu. Repeat for 3 more sandwiches.
Looking for sandwiches? Try here!