Feel the need for a healthy fresh salad but just kinda want to toss something together in a hurry? Have a fridge full of veggies and leftovers? The Everything Salad is the perfect answer!
Recipe Contributor – OverOrderingIn
Let’s talk about some of the ingredients in this wonderful salad.
Do you know the health benefits of garlic? It’s been said garlic may help lower high blood pressure and elevated blood cholesterol. Garlic may help prevent or fight certain cancers. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties which help prevent and fight infections. And garlic may alleviate nasal congestion.
Herbalists and folk healers have used garlic for thousands of years. Ancient Egyptian healers prescribed it to build physical strength, the Greeks used it as a laxative, and the Chinese traditionally used it to lower blood pressure.
And tomatoes are a useful source of vitamin C, beta carotene, folate and potassium. Plus tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against some cancers.
Avocados are a great source of folate, vitamin A, potassium, protein, iron, magnesium, and vitamins C, E, and B6. Plus they are rich in monounsaturated oil, the same heart-friendly fat found in olive oil, and have more soluble fiber than any other fruit.
As Carly from Over Ordering In writes, “On most Fridays, my mom comes over and spends the afternoon. I love surprising her with different homemade, healthy lunches. Today’s Everything Salad was a definite hit. I basically took everything healthy and fresh in the house, chopped it up, threw it in a bowl, added a little homemade garlic tahini dressing and voilá! This was a great way to head into the weekend. Happy Friday!”
The Everything Salad
- 1 bag mixed organic greens, chopped
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tomato
- 1 beet, julienned
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- canned artichoke hearts
- 1 avocado, sliced
- charred corn
- taco seasoned sweet potatoes
- cooked quinoa
- canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Chop and mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Since this is an Everything Salad use what you have handy to create your own unique version.
- For taco seasoned sweet potato – 1 small sweet potato chopped and sautéed in pan with a little olive oil over med high heat until browned in places. Add taco seasoning and sauté uncovered for a few more mins.
- For charred corn – take kernels off 1 ear of corn and sautée them in a pan over medium high heat until browned in places.
- Whisk all ingredients together and add enough water to get desired consistency. Mix into salad.
See more great recipes here!