A Thai style mango curry that’s packed with flavor. This exotic dish has just the right balance of flavors and could be on your table in under half an hour.
Recipe Contributor – One Bite Vegan (website) One_Bite_Vegan (Instagram)
Forget take out! You could have this amazing Thai-style mango curry on the table in little under half an hour.
I’m a big fan of Thai cuisine; yes, some dishes can be spicy but the key to a great Thai dish is balancing the flavors well. That means a little spice, a little sour, a little sweet, a little salty and a little bitter.
Get the blend of these five flavors right and you’re onto a winner! Luckily, there are some amazing pre-made curry pastes available that help you take the guesswork out of getting the balance of flavors right. You can choose from red, yellow or green curry pastes; for this recipe we’re going red.
If you’re wondering what the difference is between a red, yellow and green curry paste, the answer is that it simply comes down to the types of ingredients that are used, mainly the chillies.
Ever thought that red chillies were the spiciest? It’s actually the green that you have to watch out for! Thai red curries are normally spicier than yellow (the yellow comes from turmeric) and the Thai green curry paste is the spiciest.
In addition to all the gorgeous flavors in the curry paste, we’re upping the flavour ante with fresh ginger and garlic and the mango adds an incredible sweetness that blends so well with the other savory flavors in this dish.
Serve this Mango curry with some fragrant jasmine rice and garnish with fresh, chopped cilantro. Perfection!
Remember if you make this dish, let me know what you think in the comments section below!
Thai Style Mango Curry
- 1 13.5 ounce can Coconut milk (refrigerated for at least 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 2 mangoes skinned, core discarded, chopped
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 9.6 ounce can mango nectar
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 14 ounce package extra firm tofu, cut into cubes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups jasmine rice
- Cook the jasmine rice according to the package or rice cooker.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the solids from the milk and put into a large skillet. Keep the milk and set aside. Heat the coconut milk solids over medium heat.
- Place the chopped ginger, garlic, and red curry paste in the pan. Cook for 4 minutes stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms, red onion, carrots, and red bell pepper to the pan. Cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add the reserved coconut milk, mango nectar, turmeric, and tofu to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped mangoes and spinach to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over cooked jasmine rice.