This Tex-Mex Restaurant Style Salsa is a winner! My husband literally eats this with a spoon. Seriously. My step-daughter asks when I’m making more so she can finish the batch she’s currently eating. And it’s SO easy to make!!!
At home we call it “Fire in the Hole!” because we like it hot and spicy!
This Salsa keeps in the refrigerator for 7 to 14 days (only lasts a day with my family because they eat it that fast!). It’s great to have on hand to spice up recipes or as a quick appetizer for unexpected guests. Grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips, toss the Tex-Mex Restaurant Style Salsa in a decorative bowl, and you have a quick and easy appetizer. Or try it with my Terrific Tofu Taco Meat and Healthy Holy Guacamole. Let the party begin!
Recipe Contributor – It’s All About Vegan
Tex-Mex Restaurant Style Salsa
- 1 10 ounce can dices tomatoes with green chilies, drained.
- 1 14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained.
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, stem cut off but keep seeds and membrane.
- 1/4 cup packed whole cilantro leaves. (rough chop after you have a full packed 1/4 cup).
- 1/4 cup chopped white or sweet onion.
- 1 clove garlic, rough chopped.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 lime juiced
- Drain the can of tomatoes with green chiles. Once drained, pour tomatoes and chiles into the food processor.
- Drain the can of whole peeled tomatoes. Once drained, pour the tomatoes into the food processor.
- Tightly pack 1/4 cup with fresh cilantro leaves. Empty the 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves onto a cutting board and chop. Place the chopped cilantro into the food processor.
- Chop onion (doesn’t have to be minced but somewhat small). Measure 1/4 cup of the chopped onion, then put the chopped onion into the food processor.
- Rough chop the clove of garlic and add it to the food processor.
- Cut the stem off the jalapeno pepper then slice the rest of the jalapeno into several small pieces, keeping the seeds and membrane. Scrape the sliced pieces with a knife from the cutting board into the food processor so you can avoid getting fresh raw jalapeno on your hands. However you get it into the food processor, be sure and wash your hands afterwards!
- Add the 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the food processor.
- LEAVE OUT the lime juice.
- Put the lid onto the food processor and process for about 10 to 12 seconds. Just enough to process everything but not puree it.
- Pour the salsa from the food processor into a bowl.
- Juice the lime into a separate bowl. Add the lime juice 1/2 tablespoon at a time to the bowl with the salsa and stir. If you like the fresh lime taste then add a bit more and stir again.
- Let sit in refrigerator for an hour or two for the best flavor. But if you can’t wait, I’ll understand.
- Keeps for 7 to 14 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serves 6.