Terrific Tofu Tacos are made of tofu that is perfectly flavored with just the right blend of spices. Perfect for breakfast tacos, chili, enchiladas, chili rellenos, puffy tacos, street tacos, brunch scrambles…the list goes on and on! Flavor and texture, bite for bite, it’s… well… simply terrific!
THE PERFECT TEXTURE
That’s important, the perfect texture. Tofu gets such a bad rap sometimes simply because it’s not prepared correctly. When I first started cooking tofu I had no idea what I was doing. I followed recipes but the tofu always came out tasting like TOFU and not whatever it was supposed to taste like. So I decided to conduct an experiment.
AFTER DRAINING AND RINSING TOFU USE PAPER TOWELS OR RAGS TO PRESS OUT ALL THE MOISTURE.
I made recipes to where there was some sort of tofu marinade that would make it all taste so yummy once marinated. My experience was the tofu either fell all apart and/or totally didn’t hold any of the marinade. So my experimenting continued.
TOFU AFTER YOU’VE BEEN PRESSING ON IT WITH THOSE PAPER TOWELS OR RAGS. 🙂
Then I read about frying tofu in a skillet but I really didn’t want all that extra oil, fat, calories, grease, etc.
WITH A POTATO MASHER, BREAK TOFU INTO GROUND MEAT SIZED PIECES.
So I decided to treat tofu like meat. Why not just use a regular spice mix that you use would on beef tacos and see if it sticks?
ADD SPICE MIXTURE AND STIR.
Guess what? The spice mixture does stick!!! And you can make a double batch, keep it in an airtight container, and then get out a tablespoon or two whenever you need it without having to mix all the spices together every time. Convenience. Who doesn’t love that?
SPREAD ON FOIL LINED BAKING SHEET AND BAKE AT 400 DEGREES FOR 14 TO 20 MINUTES.
It’s so simple, I can’t believe I thought of it. I’m sure others have too, I guess I just never found the right recipe. Until now of course.
Seriously. Look at that picture above. If you didn’t know it was tofu would you think it was ground beef? Come on… be honest. I’ll let you in on a secret. My carnivore hubby doesn’t just tolerate it, he likes it. Honest. Cross my heart. And don’t forget the Guacamole and Pico de Gallo!
Recipe Contributor – It’s All About Vegan
Terrific Tofu Tacos
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the two bricks of tofu. Place one brick between paper towels or rags, and press down firmly and hold to squeeze liquid from tofu. Repeat until all liquid is gone. Repeat process with second brick. Set aside.
- Take one brick, put into mixing bowl. Use potato masher and break tofu into crumbled meat size pieces.
- Use 1.5 to 2 Tablespoons of Taco Meat Seasoning PER ONE BRICK and pour into bowl. Mix well with tofu until it’s totally covered with all the spices.
- Spread tofu out in a single layer onto a foil lined baking sheet (spray the foil first with non stick cooking spray). Bake at 400 for 14 to 20 minutes. If you want the meat more moist, bake for 14 minutes. If you want the meat to be crunchy, bake for 20 minutes. It’s hard to “flip” the tofu so stir with a spatula halfway through baking time.
- Remove tofu, place in bowl, and repeat entire process with the second tofu brick.
- Use tofu immediately or place in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Place the “meat” in your favorite tortillas. Top non dairy cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo, “cheesy” queso, or any of your favorite toppings!