Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry is full of fresh stir fried veggies, baked tofu, protein noodles, and the forever yummy teriyaki sauce.
Recipe Contributor – Nourishing Alex (Instagram) Nourishing Alex (Website) Nourishing Alex (Facebook)
As Alex of Nourishing Alex writes, “You can’t go wrong with stir-fry, I loveeee it! It’s so quick and easy and delicious!”
“I had Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry with loads of veggies and Tesco’s protein noodles! I didn’t even know protein noodles were an actual thing? I was so happy when I found them, and they’re delicious!”
Did you know that teriyaki sauce actually originated in Hawaii? Early Japanese immigrants who settled in Hawaii created a marinade made from local pineapple juice, which they blended with soy. Eventually, it became the teriyaki we know today. Typical ingredients are brown sugar, cornstarch, garlic, mirin (rice wine) sake, soy sauce and sugar.
And speaking of tofu, volume for volume, soy contains more protein than beef, more calcium than milk, more lecithin than eggs, and more iron than beef.
So eat up that Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry and all the while know that you are getting a healthy dose of yumminess!
Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry
- 8 ounces (half a block) of extra firm tofu, pressed and dried.
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (tamari if following gluten free diet)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or to your taste)
- Stir Fry Veggies of Your Choice
- Cooked Noodles of Your Choice (gluten free if following gluten free diet)
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/400F and line baking tray with non-stick baking parchment. Slice your pressed and dried tofu into bite-sized cubes, place into a bowl, and add a splash of soy sauce over the tofu, shake the sauce all over, then transfer to baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, whisk the soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, ginger, chilli powder into a bowl until combined. Set Aside.
- Steam-fry your veggies in a hot wok or pan, until slightly soft, then add the cooked noodles, baked tofu and pour in the teriyaki sauce. Cook for 3 minutes on high heat then serve once all the veggies are soft and noodles are cooked.