Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili blends sweet and spicy into an all time great Autumn and Winter comfort food.
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
The weather turns cooler and what do we want? CHILI! Oh wait…VEGAN CHILI of course. There is just nothing like that warm bowl coupled in your hands while your curled up on the couch in your favorite blanket. The meatiness of sweet potatoes coupled with that bite of spice from chipotle peppers.
I know a lot of people now are whipping out chili in 20 minutes in their Instapots. I know those are great when you’re in a hurry. But on a lazy weekend I love cooking with a dutch oven on the stove. Letting all the flavors of the recipe slowly blend and filling the house with a “what smells so good!” aroma.
I cook with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce quite a bit. Maybe it’s my preference or it’s a Texas thing, not sure. But either which way, be sure to cut them up well before adding to the recipe. You can also use a bit of the sauce from the can. Just be sure it doesn’t have a super tiny pepper mixed into it.
Did you know sweet potatoes are one of the oldest vegetables known to mankind? We all know they are healthy and full of nutrients, but who knew that they first were mentioned in Peruvian records back in 750 BC? And apparently ol’ Christopher Columbus himself brought back sweet potatoes to Europe after his first voyage to the New World in 1492.
Perfect food for your football fans or to just cozy up on the couch.
So whether you’re cooking Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili for a gathering or simply to indulge in comfort food during your favorite romantic comedy, you’re going to love it. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
And if you’re looking for recipes with sweet potatoes, click here and view all the other yummy sweet potato recipes!
Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided (for sauteing)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 1/2 cups green pepper chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn cooked and stripped (or 1 cup canned corn kernels)
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups black beans rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes canned
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or skillet, over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Saute corn until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the other tbsp of olive oil to Dutch oven/skillet then cook cook onions and carrots for 3 to 4 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and green pepper and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, spices and chipotle in adobo and heat to release aromatics, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, including charred corn, salt and 1 cup water. Bring to boil then reduced heat and simmer covered for approximately 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with chopped cilantro (optional).