Sweet and Spicy Tofu is a yummy bowl of crispy sweet yet spicy tofu coupled with jasmine rice. A meal anyone would love!
Recipe Contributor – Plant Crazii (Instagram)
I love tofu. Before I went totally plant based, and was a vegetarian, I wasn’t too fond of tofu to be honest. It seemed like some flavorless mushy kinda meat substitute that only the diehard plant lovers ate.
But once I gave up gluten to help with autoimmune issues (I’m not gluten sensitive or have Celiac but my Rheumatologist recommended it because gluten can cause inflammation) I didn’t have a lot of choices for a versatile meat type substitute since seitan (wheat) was out of the picture.
Once I learned how to cook it properly, I loved tofu!
Tofu was just hard for me to learn to cook. Lots of recipes say “marinate for 15 minutes then fry” but to me the marinade always just kinda stayed in the pan and the tofu was kind of crunchy on the outside and mushy on the inside. Pretty much tasteless. So if this happens to you don’t give up. You just have to find the right recipes and know that marinating tofu takes a while if you want the flavors to stick.
But if you cook the tofu and toss it in a sauce that sticks to the tofu, like this Sweet and Spicy Tofu recipe, then you will have OH MY GOSH good tofu! Added with the rice, this recipe is definitely a winner. And if you’re following a gluten free diet, just switch the soy sauce to tamari or any soy sauce that is gluten free, and you’re good to go!
If you’re looking for tofu recipes, simply search at the top of this page (click on the magnifying glass in the top menu at the far right and type in tofu), or click here and it’ll take you to more yummy tofu recipes.
Sweet and Spicy Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained, rinsed, pressed and cut into 1 inch rectangles
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
Sweet and Spicy Sauce –
- In a pot, add the grapeseed oil and set the heat to between medium and high. Add the tofu and fry until the tofu crisps on the outside.
- Take the tofu out of the oil and set aside.
- While the tofu is cooking, cook the rice according to package directions but add the sesame seed oil, vinegar and salt to the water. Set aside
Sweet and Spicy Sauce –
- Into the same pot that you cooked the tofu, add the scallion, garlic and onion and let simmer until translucent. Once translucent, add the other sauce ingredients and stir until sauce gets sticky.
- Once sauce is sticky, add in your tofu pieces and mix them around until they are all covered in that delicious sauce!
To Plate –
- Plate the jasmine rice with sweet and spicy tofu. Sprinkle with additional green onions and sesame seeds on top.