Summer Bounty Mediterranean Salad is full of all the fresh healthy vegetables we can enjoy while the summer is still here. Added bonus? Fresh peach slices.
Recipe Contributor – Better Food Guru (Instagram) Better Food Guru (Website) Better Food Guru (Facebook)
Summer Bounty Mediterranean Salad is loaded with crunchy romaine, red cabbage, yellow peaches, hearts of palm, avocado, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, roasted sweet baby peppers, garden fresh oregano and mint. And this beautiful salad is simply dressed in extra virgin olive oil, lemon, sea salt and ground black pepper.
And with Summer coming to a close and the kiddos going back to school, it’s nice to know that we can still enjoy all the wonderful, fresh, healthy vegetables that summer offers.
Speaking of healthy, did you know this salad is packed full of nutrients? Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, beta carotene, folate and potassium. Plus tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against some cancers. Peaches contain a large amount of beta carotene, useful amounts of vitamin C and potassium, and are a good source of dietary fiber. And bell peppers? Rated 16th of the top 20 antioxidant fruits and vegetables. Not to mention avocados which are rich in folate, vitamin A, and potassium and one of the best “good fats” you can eat.
Give this recipe a try before the summer is over. Your tastebuds, and your body, will thank you.
Summer Bounty Mediterranean Salad
For Bottom Layer –
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, drained, and chopped
- 1/4 head red cabbage, washed, drained, shredded
- 1 large lemon for squeezing
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
For Top Layer
- 1 fresh peach, sliced
- 1/2 fresh avocado, sliced
- 1/4 can hearts of palm, drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 Kalamata olives, halved
- 5 baby bell peppers, whole
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- a squeeze of lemon
- fresh mint
- oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Roast the whole baby peppers on a sheet pan in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add romaine lettuce and red cabbage.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the lettuce and the cabbage. Drizzle the olive oil, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Mix with hands until the lettuce and cabbage are coated.
- Put into a large serving bowl and put the top layer ingredients on top.
- Season the top of the arranged salad with sea salt, black pepper, another squeeze of lemon juice, fresh mint and oregano leaves.
Looking for great salads? Try here!