Salted Caramel Chickpea Brownies. Healthy indulgent bites of chocolate and caramel. Gluten free and refined sugar free.
Recipe Contributor – Love In Every Morsel (Instagram)
You can win anyone over with these SALTED CARAMEL CHICKPEA BROWNIES. Even those that raise their eyebrow at you when you say healthier recipes. They are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
And now a little about the history of desserts. Sweets were fed to the gods in ancient Mesopotamia and ancient India. Dried fruit and honey were probably the first sweeteners used in most of the world, but the transporting of sugarcane around the world was vital to the development of dessert.
Europeans began to manufacture sugar in the Middle Ages, and more sweet desserts became available. Even then sugar was so expensive usually only the wealthy could indulge on special occasions. The first apple pie recipe was published in 1381. The earliest documentation of the term “cupcake” was in “Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats” in 1828.
The Industrial Revolution in Europe and later America caused desserts (and food in general) to be mass-produced, processed, preserved, canned, and packaged. Frozen foods, including desserts, became very popular starting in the 1920s when freezing emerged.
I’m sure in the 1920’s they were not using chickpeas in brownies but aren’t we lucky that we’ve evolved? Chickpeas are a great source of plant-protein and packed with nutrition. So basically you can have a salad for lunch, with cacao.
Salted Caramel Chickpea Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 F + add parchment to 8×8 baking pan.
- In blender or food processor add the chickpeas, vanilla, almond butter and almond milk. Blend until combined scraping down sides if necessary.
- Add in almond flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Blend again until smooth.
- Spread mix into prepared baking pan + bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cool before adding caramel sauce and slicing.
Salted Caramel Sauce –
- Heat 1/4 cup maple syrup on medium high for about 2 minutes, until super frothy
- Add 2 tbsp coconut oil + stir well cooking for another minute.
- Add in 6 tbsp coconut cream (canned coconut milk, the cream at top) stirring well.
- Remove from heat + add in 1/4 tsp sea salt.
- Cool before drizzling over brownies.