Roasted Veggie Bowl with Avocado Dressing is the perfect summer bowl. Plus it’s fresh, healthy, and full of color.
Recipe Contributor – OverOrderingIn (Instagram)
Summer is definitely prime time for all us plant eaters. So many fresh vegetables available for us to choose from. It’s like Christmas in July for Vegans and plant based folks.
We all know vegetables are good for us. But let’s get a few facts about some of the vegetables that are in this bowl.
Sweet potatoes – Like other brightly colored orange-yellow vegetables, sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene, an antioxidant precursor to vitamin A. On average, one medium sweet potato provides more than 100 percent of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin A, about 33 percent of the RDA for vitamin C, 20 percent of the RDA for B6, 400mg of potassium, along with folate and iron.
Kale – One cup of cooked kale contains almost a day’s supply of vitamin A and well over 50 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin C. Also included is 20 mcg of folate, 100 mg of calcium, 1 mg of iron, and 310 mg of potassium. It also provides more than 1 g of fiber and has only 50 calories. Kale contains more iron and calcium than almost any other vegetable.
Broccoli – A one cup serving of cooked broccoli contains only 44 calories, yet it provides more than 100 percent RDA of vitamin C, 20 percent RDA for folate, 75 mg calcium, 1.2 mg iron, and 5 g of protein.
This Roasted Veggie Bowl with Avocado Dressing is full of all those summer veggies. The colorful bell peppers and fresh broccoli mixed together with roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas. And fresh kale massaged with a dressing of avocado, garlic and lemon.
HEY! Yes, it’s hey. Healthy, Easy, and Yummy.
Roasted Veggie Bowl with Avocado Salad
Roasted Veggies –
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 head broccoli florets, cut and rinsed
- 6 to 8 mini bell peppers, rinsed
- 1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 sweet potato, washed and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 cups fresh kale, destemed, chopped and massaged
- olive oil
- garlic powder to taste
- paprika to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Avocado Dressing –
- 1 Avocado
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (depends on your love of garlic)
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- Roasted Veggies –
- Preheat oven to 450 F. (I used 3 pans and roasted everything at the same time).
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpea and dry them with a paper towel. Spread on a pan and sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and then bake for 10-15 more minutes.
- Place broccoli florets, whole mini bell peppers and whole artichoke hearts (drained and rinsed from can and blotted dry) in one layer on a pan, sprinkle with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 10 mins, flip and bake for 10 minutes more (the artichoke hearts needed 5 more minutes).
- Slice a sweet potato into 1/4 inch rounds and place on a pan. Sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for about 10 minutes more.
- Massage chopped and de-stemmed kale with the juice of 1/4 lemon
Avocado Dressing –
- Mash avocado and mix with minced garlic and the juice of 1 lemon. Whisk and add water until it gets to the dressing consistency you want. Mix chickpeas and dressing into kale and add toppings. Add more dressing over all if you want.
- Use as much or as little roasted vegetables as you want per bowl. Measurements in the recipe are approximate.
- If you don’t have some of the veggies listed on hand, use what you have and make it your own roasted veggie bowl!