Protein Packed Veggie Lo Mein is a healthy, nutrient dense, vegan and gluten free protein packed meal.
Recipe Contributor – Fuel My Smile (Instagram) Fuel My Smile (Website) Fuel My Smile (Facebook)
I am oodles for noodles! And with this recipe, you can get so many wonderful nutrients and a ton of protein. Plus, you know how when you eat a huge bowl of regular noodles they taste really good, but you kinda have that “maybe I shouldn’t have eaten all that” in the back of your mind? Not with these noodles. Comfort food without the guilt!
Edamame are whole, immature soybeans. Green in color, they differ from regular soybeans which are typically light brown or beige. Edamame are high in protein, may help lower cholesterol, do not raise blood sugar, may help reduce certain cancers, and may help prevent bone loss.
And talk about “packed with nutrition.” These immature little soybeans pack a powerful punch. As compared with regular, mature soybeans, edamame has 5 times the folate and almost double the Vitamin K.
If you normally don’t read the nutritional information on these recipes, be sure and look at it on this recipe card. You’ll be amazed!
With Protein Packed Veggie Lo Mein, you get a very healthy and unique spin on the typical lo mein. It’s definitely a recipe to put on your recipe bucket list.
Protein Packed Veggie Lo Mein
Lo Mein –
- 1 box Edamame Noodles cooked according to package directions
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 green onions, chopped (separate green parts from white parts – you’ll use both separately)
- 2 to 3 cups vegetables, julienne cut or chopped carrots, red peppers, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, or broccoli- use many different ones
- 1 tbsp mirin
- sriracha to taste (optional)
- Shake all the sauce ingredients together in a jar.
Lo Mein –
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or skillet. Add the green onions (white parts) and vegetables to the hot pan. Stir fry until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mirin to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add the cooked noodles and the sauce – toss around in the hot pan to combine.
- Serve topped with remaining green onions!
Looking for other noodle recipes? Try here!