One Pot Vegan Zuppa Toscana is a hearty, filling soup that will satisfy the pickiest of soup connoisseurs.
Recipe Contributor – Feline Frenzied (Instagram)
Well it’s still in the low 30’s here in the Texas Hill Country and there is nothing better than a big ol bowl of piping hot soup when it’s cold outside. And baby, it’s cold outside!
This One Pot Vegan Zuppa Toscana is a wonderfully hearty soup that can double as a family meal. Just add a loaf of crusty bread, and/or maybe a salad, and you have an entire delicious meal.
I’ve never had the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, because I always ordered the minestrone since I’m not a big sausage person. Wait, let me rephrase. Back before becoming vegan, I didn’t care too much for sausage because it usually was fatty and would have those bits where you’d bite into something hard and wonder “what in the heck is that?’ which now of course makes my skin crawl.
However, with plant based sausages, at least Beyond Meat Italian Hot Sausage, which is the only ones I’ve had because they are gluten free, there are no “hard” parts or fatty parts. Why you ask? Because they are made from plants! No gristle or bone which I’m assuming was what I was biting into back when I ate real sausage. Yuck.
Game Changers Movie
Sidenote – Have you seen the movie The Game Changers? We watched it a few nights ago and it’s very interesting. And who would have know that the Roman Gladiators were vegetarian? I put the movie trailer below so if you’re interested you can at least watch the 2 minute trailer. The movie is also available on Netflix. After watching the movie my carnivore husband is now almost at least vegetarian. Baby steps.
Back to the Zuppa Toscana…
This soup is really good. If you’re a Beyond Meat fan you probably have almost all the ingredients already at home. If you don’t have arrowroot you can use cornstarch in its place. Just make sure to adjust the measurement as posted in the recipe.
Make this soup, oops, zuppa!, while the weather’s cold. And if you’re looking for more soup recipes, you can use the search tool at the right of the top menu, or simply click here. And don’t forget, you can also search by recipe contributor. Just entire your favorite recipe contributor’s name in the search bar, and all their recipes will appear.
One Pot Vegan Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa Toscana –
- 4 Italian Hot Beyond Meat Sausage Links
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth vegan chick'n flavored
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs russet potatoes cubed
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bunch kale de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder or 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- vegan parmesan cheese
Zuppa Toscana –
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown sausage in olive oil, breaking up as it cooks, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pot, and set aside.
- Saute onion in a little more oil until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add Italian seasonings and cook for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add white wine if using and cook until alcohol dissipates, approximately 2 minutes, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot.
- Add broth, water, potatoes, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until potatoes tender, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Whisk together coconut milk with arrowroot powder. Stir into soup and continue to cook until heated through and thickened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return Beyond sausage to pot. Stir. Serve soup topped with TVP bac'n bits and grated vegan parmesan.
TVP Bac'n Bits –
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Combine ingredients except TVP in a small pot. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and stir in TVP until well saturated.
- Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, store refrigerated in covered jar.
- Nutritional information does not include the TVP Bac’n Bits