“You had me at hello” is a famous line from the movie Jerry Maguire. With One Pan Coconut Curry, “You had me at one pan…and coconut…and curry.”
Recipe Contributor – The Dorky French (website) The Dorky French (Instagram) The Dorky French (Facebook)
There are many varieties of dishes that are called ‘curries’. For example, in original traditional cuisines, the precise selection of spices for each dish is a matter of national or regional cultural tradition, religious practice, and, to some extent, could even be family preference. Such dishes they call by specific names which refer to their ingredients, spicing, and cooking methods.
Curry powder, a commercially prepared mixture of spices, is largely a Western creation, dating back to the 18th century. Such mixtures are commonly thought to have first been prepared by Indian merchants for sale to members of the British Colonial government and army returning to Britain.
Luckily today we can make quick, easy and tasty curry dishes without having to travel thousands of miles for spices. And with the right spices on hand, One Pan Coconut Curry can go from pan to table in 30 minutes. And it’s absolutely delicious.
One Pan Coconut Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 350 ml creamy coconut milk (I used canned)
- 1 medium potato, cut into cubes
- 240 g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 lemon juiced
- cooked white rice
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Cut and add the onion, garlic, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are brown.
- Add the coconut milk and rest of the ingredients (except the rice).
- Bring to a boil and cook for minimum 10 minutes on medium heat (open lid) , until potatoes are soft and curry is thick.
- Top with fresh basil or coriander (optional), serve warm plain or with white rice and enjoy.
Looking for curry recipes? Try Thai Style Mango Curry.