Marinated Tofu Feta. A few simple ingredients turn an ordinary block of tofu into a Greek delicacy.
Recipe Contributor – Vegan Soul Adventure (Instagram) Vegan Soul Adventure (Website) Vegan Soul Adventure (Facebook)
As Linda of Vegan Soul Adventure writes, “I wish I could describe the aroma that awaits you when you open a jar of Marinated Tofu Feta! With this easy to prepare recipe you can turn any mixed or green salad into a complete Mediterranean lunch.”
“The Feta can also serve as a flavorful, aromatic addition to your antipasti platter, an amazing topping on your pasta, and a great hostess gift to bring to a dinner party. On top of that, it looks absolutely gorgeous in a glass jar, and you will be amazed by how a few simple ingredients can transform an ordinary block of tofu into a delicacy.”
And speaking of tofu, volume for volume, soy contains more protein than beef, more calcium than milk, more lecithin than eggs, and more iron than beef. It’s a powerhouse of health!
This tofu feta is a must try. It’s so much fun to make your own “cheese,” plus such a healthier alternative to the store bought “cheese” which have a lot of additives and preservatives.
Marinated Tofu Feta
- 1 lb super firm tofu, pressed, patted dry, cut into 1/3 -1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (from jar), sliced
- 6.3 ounces mixed olives, drained (pitted or not, your choice)
- 2 bay leaves (or 1 for each jar)
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (make sure it's a full half a cup, don't be shy!)
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- In a medium-size bowl, gently blend tofu, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and bay leaves. Distribute the mixture evenly among glass jars with screw lids. Wide-mouth mason jars work just fine.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients until emulsified, then pour over the tofu mix into the jars. The tofu-feta-mix should be fairly covered with the marinade. If not, use a spoon to drown everything.
- Screw on the lids, place the jars into your refrigerator, and now comes the difficult part: wait! It takes 3 days until the tofu is sufficiently marinated to resemble feta. Meanwhile, whenever you stare into the fridge admiring these beauties, give the jars a good shake, at least once a day.
- If you sample it on day 1: nope!
- If you try it on day 2: well, you get an idea…
- But then, after 3 days……. it was so worth the wait!!!!
- Store in the fridge, but serve and enjoy at room temperature! Because of the extra virgin olive oil it will thicken when chilled.
- Nutritional information is for each jar (so many servings a jar!)
- When the feta is all gone, which probably won’t take too long, use the remaining olive oil marinade in salads or drizzle over roasted veggies! So good!
- This tofu feta is perfect with pita, ciabatta, baguette, salad, and so much more!
- Absolutely wonderful in a Greek salad!
Looking for tasty appetizers? Look here!