Homemade Tomato Soup. What isn’t to like about it? It’s hearty, healthy, and OH so delish!
Recipe Contributor – Hannah Oodles
As Hannah from Hanna Oodles writes, “Homemade Tomato Soup and Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich. YUM!”
“The sandwich I simply made with homemade non dairy cheese, tomato paste, and the Tofurky Company hickory ham.”
Do you know the health benefits of garlic? It’s been said garlic may help lower high blood pressure and elevated blood cholesterol. Garlic may help prevent or fight certain cancers. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties which help prevent and fight infections. And garlic may alleviate nasal congestion.
Herbalists and folk healers have used garlic for thousands of years. Ancient Egyptian healers prescribed it to build physical strength, the Greeks used it as a laxative, and the Chinese traditionally used it to lower blood pressure.
And tomatoes are a useful source of vitamin C, beta carotene, folate and potassium. Plus tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against some cancers.
“The soup recipe is below. And not to brag, but this may be the best tomato soup in the world! The flavor reminds me of La Madeleine’s creamy tomato soup.”
Besides being “the best tomato soup in the world”, we can definitely say this yumminess is also a big dose of healthy!
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 4 to 5 tbsp dairy free butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp basil (dried or a handful of fresh)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a medium pot on medium heat and let simmer until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Inhale deeply because it smells pretty delicious.
- To the pot add the tomatoes, veggie broth and water.
- Let simmer uncovered over medium high heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste. Let simmer 10 more minutes.
- Blend in blender until smooth.
- Devour immediately.
Looking for comforting soups? Look here!