Easy Pasta Sauce with Zucchini and Mushrooms is a delicious and healthy addition to any pasta that goes from stove top to table in 30 minutes.
What a beautiful pasta sauce! Full of veggies and easy to prepare. And full of nutrition!
Mushrooms are a favorite to use as “meat” in a meal. Extremely low in calories (a half cup contains only 10 calories) mushrooms are virtually fat free and a valuable source of dietary fiber. They provide good amounts of potassium, selenium, riboflavin, thiamin, folate, b6, and zinc. They are also one of the best plant based sources of niacin. Three ounces of portobello mushrooms provide almost 20 percent of the daily niacin requirement.
And zucchini are by far the most popular summer squash in North America. Picked and eaten while still immature, zucchini have a soft shell and tender light-colored flesh that has a delicate, crisp, fresh flavor.
Zucchini, like other summer squash, are about 94 percent water, making them one of the lowest calorie vegetables. One cup of raw slice zucchini has less than 20 calories and proves 28 mcg of folate, about 7 percent of the adult recommended dietary allowance, as well as 12 mg of vitamin C and 250 mg of potassium. Who would have known?
Easy Pasta Sauce with Zucchini and Mushrooms is just as yummy as it is easy and nutritious. Try it today. You’ll be happy you did!
Easy Pasta Sauce with Zucchini and Mushrooms
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 zucchini
- 2 carrots peeled
- 8.5 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 17.5 ounces sieved tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup plant based milk
- 1/2 tbsp flour use GF flour if following a GF diet
- 17.5 ounces pasta your favorite (GF if following a GF diet)
- Add all the veggies (onion, garlic, zucchini, musshrooms, carrots and tomatoes) separately in a food processor to chop them finely.
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic cloves and cook them for about 1-2 minutes or until the onion becomes transclucent.
- Add zucchini and carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms and cook them for another 2 minutes before adding tomatoes, tomato paste, dried basil, dried oregano, some salt and pepper, vegan butter and sieved tomatoes.
- Stir well, reduce heat to low, cover sauce pan with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Stir sauce regularly.
- While sauce is simmering, cook your favorite pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together plant based milk and flour and add the mixture to the sauce.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add some more salt and pepper if necessary and serve with pasta.
- Nutritional information is calculated using regular pasta (not gluten free)
Looking for more yummy pasta recipes? Try here!