Chocolate Almond Butter Bars. These Vegan bars are so quick to make and deliciously decadent. Perfect to bring to a holiday gathering or for the family as a special weekend treat.
Recipe Contributor – Danica The Dietitian
Chocolate Almond Butter Bars are a no-bake dessert that is sure to please any dessert lover. And do you know the history of desserts?
Sweets were fed to the gods in ancient Mesopotamia and ancient India. Dried fruit and honey were probably the first sweeteners used in most of the world, but the transporting of sugarcane around the world was vital to the development of dessert.
Europeans began to manufacture sugar in the Middle Ages, and more sweet desserts became available. Even then sugar was so expensive usually only the wealthy could indulge on special occasions. The first apple pie recipe was published in 1381. The earliest documentation of the term “cupcake” was in “Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats” in 1828.
The Industrial Revolution in Europe and later America caused desserts (and food in general) to be mass-produced, processed, preserved, canned, and packaged. Frozen foods, including desserts, became very popular starting in the 1920s when freezing emerged.
So there you have the history of desserts! And is there any better dessert than a no-bake dessert? I think not! Delicious, no-bake, and beautiful. What more do you need? 💚
Chocolate Almond Butter Bars
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and divided
- 7 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice), divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract ⠀
- 1 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips, divided
- salt to taste
For The Base –
- Mix together flour and salt in a bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together maple syrup, 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 5 tbsp almond butter and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Slowly add wet ingredients into dry and mix well until there are no more lumps.
- Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and press mixture into dish.
- Freeze for ~30 minutes.
For the Topping –
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, 2 tbsp nut butter and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave again for another 30 seconds or until melted and smooth.
- Pour mixture evenly over base. Refrigerate for ~1 hour.
- Slice into squares & enjoy!
- Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Looking for dessert? Look here!