Cauliflower Parmesan Steaks are meaty, healthy, and roasted until tender with the perfect crust.
Recipe Contributor – Jason Pabst Cuisine (Instagram) Jason Pabst Cuisine (Website)
Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, and folate. A cup of raw cauliflower florets has more than 50 percent of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of vitamin C, 15 percent of the RDA for folate, and reasonable amounts of potassium and vitamin B6. It also has bioflavonoids, indoles, and other chemicals that protect against cancer.
When buying cauliflower, look for a head with firm, compact florets. If it is fresh, the leaves will be crips and green, and the head, or curd, snowy white. Broccoflower is a hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. It resembles cauliflower but is green and has a milder flavor. Another variety, purple cauliflower, has more beta carotene than the white variety.
Meat alternatives are growing rapidly in popularity. There’s Beyond Meat Burgers, Impossible Burgers, etc., so it’s nice to have a more simple vegetable based option that fills that “meaty” texture. And Cauliflower Parmesan Steaks are the perfect answer. Great texture, filling, soft in the middle yet crunchy outside. Toss one on a pile of your favorite pasta and magnifico!
Cauliflower Parmesan Steaks
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Prepare cauliflower steaks by carefully cutting each cauliflower head from the top down in half. Then cut a 1 inch steak, including the stalk from each half. The stalks help keep the steaks in their uniform shape.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes and set aside.
- Whilst cooking, make the wet wash with breadcrumbs.
- For the wet wash, simply whisk the chickpea flour, water, and 2 tbsp of the nutritional yeast in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- For the breadcrumbs, place the almonds, cashews, 2 tbsp of the nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp sea salt and parsley in a food processor and pulse until fine in texture. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Next, carefully place each steak in the wet wash and breadcrumbs and place back on the baking dish. Bake at 425F for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve with desired sides. (we suggest your favorite pasta dish)
Looking for main dishes? Look here!