Best Vegan Pizza Dough is an easy yet delectable recipe. Add your favorite pizza toppings and you’ll never order take out again!
Recipe Contributor – A Pinch of Plants (Instagram) A Pinch of Plants (Website)
Best Vegan Pizza Dough is really all it’s cracked up to be. And it’s not that hard to find a good vegan pizza dough.
Did you know that pizza has been a basic part of the Italian diet since the Stone Age? This earliest form of pizza was a crude bread that was baked beneath the stones of the fire. After cooking, it was seasoned with a variety of different toppings and used instead of plates and utensils to sop up broth or gravies. It is said that the idea of using bread as a plate came from the Greeks who ate flat round bread (plankuntos) baked with an assortment of toppings . It was eaten by the working man and his family because it was a thrifty and convenient food.
In 1905 Gennaro Lombardi is credited to having opened the first United States Pizzeria in New York City at 53 1/2 Spring Street (now know as Little Italy). Lombardo is now known as America’s “Patriarca della Pizza.” It wasn’t until the early 1930s that he added tables and chairs and sold spaghetti as well.
As A Pinch of Plants writes, “Today I am sharing the best pizza dough recipe. If you have a stand mixer, great but if not, no biggie, you just get a good arm workout. This is so easy to throw together in the morning, leave it to rest for the day and get a super fluffy pizza crust by dinner. Simply add your favorite pizza toppings to the Best Vegan Pizza Dough crust, and you’ll never order take out again!”
Best Vegan Pizza Dough
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl, mix warm water (not too hot) and yeast together and let sit until foam skin forms on top. Add first 7 ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt last and mix. (You don’t want to put it directly in the active yeast as this will kill it).
- Knead dough with stand mixer for about 5 mins or by hand for 7-8 mins until dough becomes stretchy and soft.
- Form a ball, place back in bowl and drizzle remaining olive oil on top and cover with a damp tea towel. Let rise for at least an hour but the more time the better.
- When ready to assemble pizza, stretch dough out to desired shape and coat bottom with corn meal.
- This dough bakes well in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 15-20 mins.
- Nutritional information is for the pizza dough only, no toppings included.