BBQ Chickpea Burger. Chickpeas, brown rice, veggie broth and BBQ sauce. That’s it. An easy awesome Vegan and Gluten Free patty that will challenge any burger. 4 ingredients. One bowl, a potato masher, and a baking pan. Healthy easy deliciousness as it’s best.
This BBQ Chickpea Burger is seriously the easiest and most delicious Vegan and Gluten Free patty you will ever make. 4 ingredients. 25 to 30 minutes to cook. 10 minutes max to prep.
There’s not a whole lot to say about this recipe since it’s so simple. I will tell you I made it because I’ve been craving BBQ. In Texas BBQ is a staple. And being that all BBQ, other than the sides, are meat based, it’s not easy for a Vegan to have BBQ. So I decided to make an easy healthy version to satisfy my craving.
Simply mash all the ingredients with a potato masher until mashed and mixed.
It’s really that easy. Then line a baking pan with foil and spray cooking spray or use coconut oil to keep the patties from sticking. This recipe will make about 8 patties. You don’t want them too big so they will cook. Have you ever flipped a pancake before it was ready to be flipped? The same thing will happen with these. So make sure you cook for at least 15 minutes before flipping.
If they lift easily with the spatula then flip. If you feel like a patty is kinda scrunching across the foil then wait a few more minutes, flip and continue cooking.
It’s Oh My Gosh Good!
Seriously, look at that photo. Once you take the patties out of the oven simply place them on your favorite gluten free bun, spread a layer of BBQ sauce on the top of the patty, place your favorite burger toppings on and get ready to dive in and enjoy!
BBQ Chickpea Burger
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup gluten free barbecue sauce, plus extra for the burger
- 2 cups less sodium vegetable broth (or the amount used following directions for cooking the rice)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions so that you will have at least one cup once cooked. Use 1/3 less sodium vegetable broth to cook rice.
- While rice is cooking drain, rinse and de-skin chickpeas. Pour into mixing bowl and set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, add one cup of cooked rice and 1/2 of BBQ sauce into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Mash with potato masher until mixed. Then use spoon to stir and mix more.
- Line a 13×9 baking pan with foil and spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Take about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the chickpea mixture and put onto the foil. It’ll be really moist like cookie dough batter. With your hands, shape into the form of a patty. Repeat until all the chickpea mixture is used (Should be 8 patties).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not flip the patties until you can easily slide a spatula underneath. If the patty starts to scrunch up then reshape with your hand and wait a few more minutes. Once flipped, cook another 10 or 15 minutes to equal approximately 25 to 30 minutes total cooking time.
- Once done, place one patty on the bottom half of a gluten free bun. Spread extra BBQ sauce onto the patty and then top with your favorite burger toppings.
- Makes 8 patties.
- When cooking the patties, make sure you cook for at least 15 minutes before flipping. If they lift easily with the spatula then flip. If you feel like a patty is kinda scrunching across the foil then wait a few more minutes, flip and continue cooking.
- Keeps in refrigerator for 5 days.
- Does not freeze.