Autumn Squash Spaghetti is full of Autumn flavors with the comfort of pasta tossed in. With two kinds of squash, english peas, and a creamy garlic sauce this makes a great weeknight family meal.
Recipe Contributor – Better Food Guru (Instagram) Better Food Guru (Website) Better Food Guru (Facebook)
Isn’t it great when it’s fall and all the different kinds of squash start emerging in the produce section and at farmers’ markets? And besides being so yummy to eat, some kinds of squash are just fun to cook and look at.
The first time I bought a butternut squash, I carried it out like a baby because it was that big!
Acorn squash are so cute and make great little “holders of deliciousness.” Basically, they are perfect for scooping out the insides and then stuffing them with all kinds of different veggies and grains.
Delicata squash I honestly know nothing about. Ok, before you all mutiny I am in Texas so if this is a squash from way up north or another country maybe that’s why I know nothing about it. So guess what? You got it! We’re going to learn about it.
Delicata squash is a variety of winter squash with cream-coloured cylindrical fruits striped in green or orange.
Ok, that’s what Wikipedia says. I looked up photos of delicata squash and I still will argue that I haven’t seen any in my neck of the woods. However, maybe they are only available a few weeks out of the year here in Texas. Back to learning…
Delicata squash are also known as peanut squash, Bohemian squash and sweet potato squash.
And apparently they are the same species of squash as the common orange pumpkins used as Jack-O-Lanterns on Halloween. See, not only can you get a rocking good recipe, you also learned something!
Autumn Squash Spaghetti is delicious, easy, and filling. Give it a try before all the seasonal squash is gone. Your family will thank you.
Autumn Squash Spaghetti
- 8 to 12 ounces pasta if following a gluten free diet use gf pasta
Squash and Sauce –
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup delicata squash sliced
- 1 cup butternut squash cut in squares or bought pre packaged and already cut
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or any unsweetened plant milk
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan
- crushed red pepper to taste (optional topping)
- black pepper to taste (optional topping)
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
Squash and Sauce –
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until toasty.
- Add 2 cups cut squash and season with salt. Stir well. Cook for 5 minutes until squashes begin to soften.
- Add and combine water and peas. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Gently add plant milk, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Mix in tomato paste and boil 5 minutes until thickened.
- Gently add the cooked pasta to the pan with sauce and mix with tongs to distribute sauce through spaghetti.
- Add vegan butter and vegan parmesan and mix well. Turn off heat.
- Plate and top with crushed red pepper and ground black pepper.
Looking for yummy pasta dishes? Try here!